Rotational program for recent engineering graduates
Engineering and innovation are at the heart of everything Emerson does. We aim to hire the world’s best and brightest technical talent to help our company solve some of the world’s toughest challenges and to do what’s never been done before. We are looking for talented recent engineering school graduates who want to grow to become tomorrow’s leaders within Emerson.
The Emerson Engineers in Leadership Program provides a unique opportunity for recent engineering degree recipients to gain exposure to, and experience in, a range of functional roles and assignments, including engineering, product development, supply chain, operations, and sales and marketing. The program is designed to help participants develop a broad base of knowledge about our company and grow into well-rounded leaders.
How the program works
Each year, eight to 18 candidates are selected and offered full-time positions for this intensive, two-year rotational program. Following a week-long group orientation at our global headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri, participants embark on their first rotation. The program consists of two different assignments in two different locations, one in the United States and one internationally. Each assignment lasts approximately twelve months.
Locations and business assignments are changed for each class of participants. Locations for past participants include Emerson businesses in Minneapolis, Minn.; Florham Park, N.J.; Columbus, Ohio; Sidney, Ohio; Austin, Texas; Cluj-Napoca, Romania; and Singapore.
Program participants are matched with senior executives and mentors who can contribute to their career development and help them build technical and leadership skills. In addition, each class of participants meets periodically for virtual and in-person development sessions to exchange experiences and insights, build new technical and leadership skills, and help strengthen their network and relationships.
Toward the end of the two-year rotational program, Emerson works with participants to identify a role within the company that matches their skills, aspirations and interests with the best opportunities for career development and advancement.
Who we are looking for
The Engineers in Leadership Program is open to recent university graduates with Bachelors of Science degrees in engineering. Successful applicants will have the following skills and goals:
- Strong, proven leadership capabilities
- Excellent communication skills
- A passion for team-focused, goal-oriented work
- Interest in global travel and relocation opportunities
- Desire to gain cross-functional experience
What you will work on
Participants can expect a broad range of work experience over the two-year period, as well as the opportunity to make a real contribution within a multi-billion-dollar global company. The Engineers in Leadership Program includes:
- Interesting and challenging work opportunities, rotating within Emerson’s sales and marketing, engineering, or supply chain operations teams
- Experience working with global teams, including an international work assignment
- Ongoing mentoring from and visibility with top Emerson executives
- Leadership training and development programs
Specific tasks during each rotation assignment may include
Engineering and Development
- Developing, testing and optimizing new or existing products for safety, quality, efficiency and to meet economic goals and standards
- Documenting designs and specifications
- Identifying design related cost reduction opportunities
- Managing and balancing the needs and realities of market requirements, design constraints, operations optimization and business impact to achieve improved profitability
- Coordinating the New Product Development process for the product engineering program and participating in the development of a sustainable product and technology roadmap
Sales and Marketing
- Conducting in-depth research and analysis of competitive products and technologies
- Working collaboratively with the sales channel to establish customer visit strategies
- Coordinating and participating in customer sales presentations
- Developing customer stories that support core messaging strategy
- Collaborating with marketing communications to translate messaging into sales collateral and digital content
- Performing business justification calculations for new product solutions
Supply Chain and Operations
- Leading a value chain improvement program. Overseeing data gathering, analysis, project kick-off, value chain mapping and ensure projects are developing well and are on schedule
- Engaging in improvement programs such as sales order management, inventory performance and new product development
- Identifying performance opportunities where key business metrics are not meeting goals. Provide analysis and improvement plan
Campus visits and how to apply
Emerson representatives make recruiting visits to a number of university engineering schools in the United States each fall. Interested students at these universities are strongly encouraged to meet with the Emerson representative at your school’s career fair and/or at the Emerson information session.
Apply for the Engineers in Leadership program through our Career Search with Job ID: 17009662.